Studies in the recent years prove that men, like women, can also suffer from infertility. There are many factors that can contribute to the infertility in men and some of these are grouped into physical, chemical and biological factors. While old age doesn"t pose much of a threat to men"s infertility, there are stronger causal factors that can take away the fertility status of men such as the unhealthy lifestyle of smoking and excessive consumption of alcohol, exposure to certain chemicals at work or in the area where you live or a biological abnormality that is preventing you from conceiving.
What Is Sperm
In male humans, sperm cells consists of a head 5 µm by 3 µm and a tail 50 µm long. The tail flagellates, which propels the sperm cell (at about 1–3 mm/minute in humans) by whipping in an elliptical cone. Sperm has an alkaline nature, and they do not reach full motility (hypermotility) until they reach the vagina where the alkaline pH is neutralized by acidic vaginal fluids. This gradual process takes 20–30 minutes. In this time, fibrinogen from the seminal vesicles forms a clot, securing and protecting the sperm. Just as they become hypermotile, fibrinolysin from the prostate dissolves the clot, allowing the sperm to progress optimally.
How to increase sperm production for better male fertility? Why is there a declining trend in male fertility levels? It could be due to stress, pollution, chemicals in foods, etc but nobody knows for sure.
Whatever it is, it is good to know the following 4 factors that can affect male fertility and the possible solutions to correct them :-
1) Sperm Count
Sperm count refers to the number of sperms per ejaculation. The average sperm count figures are around 50 million sperm in an ejaculation. Anything below this can be considered decreased male fertility.
2) Sperm Motility
Sperm motility refers to the sperm"s ability to move in a dynamic and rapid way. Sperms are considered healthy if over 50% of them are active and if more than 25% of them are moving rapidly in one direction. This sperm motility is important as sperms need to navigate through the viscous cervical canal, into the uterus and into the fallopian tubes to enter and fertilize the egg.
3) Sperm Morphology
A healthy sperm cell looks like a tadpole in shape. The oval head of the sperm holds the genetic blueprint. The center provides energy and power. The tail is like a propeller that thrusts the sperm forward. Doctors believe that at least 50 % of the sperm in a semen sample should have oval heads and slightly curving tails to be considered healthy.
4) Sperm Volume
A higher sperm volume is crucial for improving the success rate of conception. Some causes of a reduction in sperm production are blockages in the sperm"s delivery system, injuries to the testicles, low or high hormone production, anatomical problems, varicocele, past illnesses, side effects of medications, etc.
Sperm count defines the fertility of a man. It measures the concentration of sperm in a man"s ejaculate. If your count of sperm is above 20 million sperm per milliliter, then the sperm count is considered as normal. Anything below that is considered as low volume. Semen analysis is the test which is usually conducted in order to test fertility in men. The basic aim of this test is to check whether the sperm and semen produced by the man is normal or not.
Sperm basically means the reproductive cells of a man. The sperm quality and quantity in a man basically defines the fertility of a man. These sperms are contained in the semen which is the organic fluid in men. The process of discharge of semen is known as ejaculation.
Low sperm count can be caused due to number of biologic and environmental factors. Conditions that may cause low count of sperms include:
- Stress – Especially in the case of younger men, stress due to work or personal issues can influence the balance of hormones and decrease sperm production
- Anxiety over sexual performance – Men suffering from erectile dysfunction or premature ejaculation problems are likely to have low count of sperms due to an anxiety over sexual performance
- Heat factor – Due to overheating of genitals, a man may experience a lower count of sperms. Overweight men may especially have this problem as the sagging layers of fat can overheat the testicles. Besides jobs that require sitting for long hours may also cause the testicles to get overheated and reduce sperm count
- Frequent intercourse – If a man ejaculates as much as 2-3 times a day, he is likely to have low count of sperms. It is recommended that a man should wait at least 3 days between each ejaculation to improve fertility
- Substance abuse – Use of marijuana and cocaine, besides smoking and excessive alcohol intake can lead to low count of sperms
Increase Sperm Count – Things To Follow
If your sperm count is low, you will probably have to undergo several other tests. One of them focuses on sperm cells survival. The sample is treated and placed in an incubator for 24 hours. The number of alive and active cells is then counted. If the number of moving sperm cells exceeds three million per milliliter, you have nothing to worry about. In case all of the sperm cells are dead, you will probably be unable to have a child without medical aid.
Listed below are some natural ways that will not only help increase count of sperms but will also improve the quality of sperms.
- Clothes – Since overheating of testicles is one of the major reasons of low sperm count, it is recommended that men wear roomy pants, boxers and loose fitting trousers to provide enough room for mobility. Men with low sperms count should also avoid saunas, hot baths and over exposure to sun
- Remove stress out of life – By de-stressing through relaxation and meditation, men can see a lot of improvement in their sex life and also the quality and quantity of their sperm
- Improve work style – Sitting all day can increase the testicular temperature and damage your sperms. A good idea would be to take regular breaks and walk for a few minutes
- Give up addictions – Avoid smoking and excessive alcohol consumption to increase your count of sperms
- Eat a balanced nutritious diet – Taking low fat, protein rich diet and consuming more fruits and vegetables will improve your sperm quality
- Reduce weight – In case you are over weight, reduce weight through dieting and exercise. It will make you feel better, improve hormonal balance and increase your semen volume
- Consult a doctor – Take advice of your doctor on how you can increase your semen volume
The great news is that there are ways that you can do in which increasing sperm count is possible. Let"s discuss some more things that you can do. For instance:
- Quit Smoking. This can prove to be beneficial, because your overall good health is one of the factor that governs your sperm count.
- Limit Your Alcohols. This, like the first point, is for your overall health and in turn will increase your sperm count.
- Do not use illicit drugs.
- If you can, cut out junk and processed foods in your daily diet. It"s more beneficial that you eat things high in protein and low fat. If you can afford it, eat only organic foods.
- Exercise Regularly. This will reduce the hormone released from stress that can damage your sperm. One thing that you have to watch out is cycling. An avid cycler over exercising can also damage or stress the testicles.
- Regulate your intercourse amount to around 3 days interval (you can consult this with your physician).
- Studies show that sperm counts are the highest at mornings. If you can, try to have sex in the morning.
- Avoid bathing in hot water and wearing tight underwear. The heat can damage your sperm.
- Consider supplements that can increase your semen volume and promote good reproductive health. This can prove to be the one thing that can change your condition quickly.
Indeed, if you have low levels of sperm production, you should also cut back the number of times you ejaculate. While it seems like having sex several times a day would increase your chances of becoming a parent, frequent ejaculation actually may be reducing your chances. Too frequent ejaculations can actually decrease your current sperm count. Giving yourself a day or even two between attempts gives your body time to naturally increase sperm quality and quantity. Increasing the time lapse between ejaculations means that you are stocking up on sperm, and also providing your sexual organs the time and rest that they need to increase production of sperms in a natural way.
Other ways to increase the amount of sperm you ejaculate is to take sperm enhancing supplements. These pills usually contain powerful aphrodisiac ingredients that will work your sexual system so that you can produce more sperm with better quality. However, you need to be careful when buying such supplements as not all are of the same quality. You need to do some research before spending a dime on these pills.
- Tight underpants, bathing in very hot water, sitting for long hours, over weight in which fat layers sag on testicles reduce sperm count
- Very frequent semen ejaculation also lead to lowered sperm count and man may become effectively infertile. Hence maintaining a gap of 3 days between two consecutive ejaculations keeps a man more fertile.
- Smoking, Excessive alcohol intake.
- Over exertion physically and mentally
- Zinc deficiency
- Infections present in prostate gland.
- Malformed genital organs.
- Anabolic steroid use
10 Ways you can Increase Your Sperm Count
1. Have sex & masturbate less often – the more times you ejaculate, the less dense your semen will be. Maintain a gap of 3 days between two consecutive ejaculations.
2. Refrain from habits like smoking, alcohol consumption etc. – Alcohol affects your liver function, which, in turn, causes a dramatic rise in estrogen levels. Even two drinks a day will have long-term effects on sperm production
3. Exercise regularly.Exercising your PC muscle can help you shoot further than ever before.
4. Eat Nutritious Food – Diet that"s low in fat, and high in protein, vegetables, and whole grains is good for your health and for your sperm. Avoid bitter, astringent and spicy foods.Reduce caffeine intake
5. Avoid heating of testicles – Wear loose, cotton boxer shorts, Avoid hot baths and saunas
6. Lose any excess weight, which tends to cause testosterone/oestrogen imbalances.
7. Reduce stress levels by learning relaxation techniques – Keep your mind and body healthy by regular practice of YOGA and MEDITATION.
8. Massage body with herbal oil, which improves blood circulation.
10. Make love in the early morning or afternoon. Sperm levels are often highest in the mornings.
Certain natural supplements promise to increase sperm production. Checkout some Natural and Herbal, no side effects supplements at